I finished reading through the epistle to the Romans this morning. Romans is never a good book for me to read for my own sanctification, because after every section I read I just want to preach instead of self-examining. I start meditating on the status of many of our churches in America and I get infuriated and then I want to weep. (I'm not bipolar, I swear!). I get so enraged at what we have turned the bride of Christ into. Instead of a young glowing bride we are more like a 40 year old virgin who lusts after heaven instead of the glory of God.
I see churches in which the Word of God is not rightly divided, emotive highs are mistaken for the Spirit, and dissension reigns.
Let me be clear...SECRECY HAS NO PLACE IN THE CHURCH!! We are not elitists. One group does not get to decide for the whole. Is the budget the only thing we get to vote on? Does the Spirit only move in those people? Is the pastor the only one to whom God has given a vision?
Churches are not to be treated as small countries. Pastors are not presidents or dictators they are servants. Associate pastors are not vice presidents. Boards and commitees are not senates and houses of representatives. A church should not look like a democracy!! The church has one head and that is CHRIST! He is who we get our vision from, and the Holy Spirit is what is to compel us. A body of believers is not something to be ruled over. We are brothers and sisters. Christ himself is called our brother, and if even he who is so much greater humbled himself, how much more are our leaders to humble themselves. Has God set up structure for the church? Absolutely! And He has told those who are in authority that they are to be servants, advocates, and His mouthpieces.
*Here ends angry rant*
And now I weep. I know that in these churches that people love one another and that they love Jesus, but I fear that they don't know God. I fear that a God who is comfortable to worship has been invented, and therefore a false gospel is preached. What I fear most in these churches is mediocrity. I fear that these churches comfort themselves with "eternal security" not knowing that a prayer does not equal salvation.
Do I judge too harshly and am I overly dramatic? Possibly, but I don't think that the problems that exist in the church of America can be overstated.
Prayer:
O Lord God save us from ourselves!
Do not allow us to worship a god we have created for ourselves.
Spirit come!
Dwell among us!
Teach us!
Give us eyes to see,
Ears to hear,
And a heart to know!
Humble us Lord Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment